Whether you like it hot and spicy or sweet and sticky, a good BBQ sauce can be a game changer when it comes to cook outs. While there’s countless varieties available in the grocery store (swing by Fairway Market and you’ll see what we mean) you may be shocked to know it only takes a few simple ingredients you likely have at home to make your own fresh sauce you can use with chicken, ribs, pulled pork, tofu, or whatever else your heart (or stomach) desires.
Classic BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or swap for coconut aminos)
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk over medium heat
- Bring the sauce to a bubble and then reduce heat to low
- Allow the sauce to simmer until thickened
- Use immediately or allow the sauce to cool and store in the fridge
While this is a classic for a reason, it’s also a great starting point to freestyle your way into a custom creation by adding your own preferred spices and seasonings. Need a spice rack refresh? Visit Bulk Barn to get everything you need and more to make a mouth-watering combination.
Don’t forget the side dishes! BBQ isn’t just for meat. Try grilling meat alternatives like tofu or fresh veggies like zucchini, peppers, carrots, and onion for a delicious and quick backyard dinner. Top it off with fresh buns or a sweet dessert from Cobs Bread and bon appetit.