Move over banana bread, take a seat sourdough – there’s a new baking trend in town and it’s pretty sweet: Cinnamon Buns.
Pillsbury can step aside for this adventure as well because today you’re not only making cinnamon buns from scratch, you’re taking this treat to a whole new level thanks to Purdy’s Chocolatier. The following recipe, courtesy of Purdy’s, features one of the top treats around the WTC Admin office: Sweet Georgia Browns (yum!).
For the dough
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- 5 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 box Mini Sweet Georgia Brown, chopped
For the filling
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 tbsp cinnamon
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar together.
- Heat up your milk together with salt and butter. Stir until butter has melted, then add cold water to cool down the mixture (until it’s warm).
- Add warm milk mixture to the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Mix the yeast with two cups of the flour, and mix well with the liquid mixture. Continue adding one cup of flour at a time, beating with hook attachment. Knead for several minutes, until smooth and elastic-like.
- Cover with a clean tea towel. Let rise for 60-75 minutes until double in size.
- Deflate the dough and divide it in half.
- On a floured surface, shape half of the dough into a rectangle. Roll out to about 12 X 18 inches. Spread onto dough 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp cinnamon and half of the chopped Mini Sweet Georgia Browns. Roll it up jelly-roll style, cut into 1.5 in slices and place on a well-greased pan, leaving about ¾ of an inch space between each.
- Repeat with other half of the dough.
- Cover pan loosely with plastic and allow to rise for 60 minutes in an area free of drafts, then bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
TIP: For extra gooey cinnamon buns, mix 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar and coat your pan with a thin layer of this mixture prior to baking.
We’d love to see how your creations turn out! Be sure to tag us, and Purdy’s on your social posts.
Note: At the time of publication, Purdy’s is open daily from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM for pick up at their front door. Watch our social media channels and this web post for updates.